We are not currently hiring for any positions. Please check back in the future.
Only current UIC College of Engineering students will be considered.
Undergraduate Research Aide (Fab Lab or Machine Shop)
We are always looking for undergraduate students from all departments in the College of Engineering to work in the Makerspace. Students do not need to have extensive technical skills to apply – although having previously used the Makerspace is a plus (or students that pass ENGR 111). Appointments are on a semester basis with the possibility of resigning. Student research aides are hired as Group IV Step A student employees. More details can be found here: https://studentemployment.uic.edu/departments-info/student-wage-plan/
We expect that undergraduate student workers are:
- Able to commit to 10 hours a week of work, with a schedule set at the beginning of the semester
- Reliable, show up on time, and are ready to work
- Willing to learn new skills with a commitment to consistent progress
- Capable of working professionally with students and university staff
- Capable of following and enforcing Makerspace policies and procedures
Graduate Research Assistant (Fab Lab or Machine Shop)
We hire graduate research aides from all departments in the College of Engineering to help manage the Makerspace. Graduate students are hired as Research Assistants at an appointment percentage that works with their schedule and Makerspace needs (minimum 25%, includes waiver. Must maintain full time status as a student). Graduate assistants help to run the space and serve as mentors for Undergraduate Student Workers. Appointments are on a semester basis with the possibility of resigning. Previous use of a Makerspace is a plus, no specific technical skills are required.
We expect that graduate student RAs:
- Have all of the qualities listed for undergraduate student workers
- Are capable of managing the Makerspace and working with full time staff to ensure smooth operation of the facility
- Are able to give tours and short presentations to classes and groups that use the space
- Serve as a mentor to both staff and users of the space